Bye Bye 80's kitchen!!

Well, my kitchen is mostly finished!! It's completely painted!! I am so excited to have a brighter updated kitchen.  It just feels completely different.  I'm not completely finished but here's what I've got for now.
 
The cabinet color is Benjamin Moore Linen White and the walls are Benjamin Moore clay beige.
I'm so glad to see the florescent oak square light gone!! I replaced it with chandeliers I got at a flea market!! :) We also hired an electrician to put more canned lighting in because after the florescent square was gone, we needed more lighting. I painted 48 cabinets and drawers and the body of the cabinets (don't know what the official name for that is) and was so burned out by the time I finished the island that my sweet husband suggested we hire a painter to paint the rest for me! I am SOOOO glad he did!!!! 
See the faith, truth, love window frame beside the pantry door? Well, my super talented sister-in-law, Sabrina, made that window frame years ago and put it in her booth at the Holiday House. My mom said she would buy me whatever I wanted in the Holiday House that year. Out of everything in all the booths, my favorite was Sabrina's window.  Since then, I have had it in my office because it didn't match with the burgundy triangles in the kitchen wallpaper.  I was so excited to move it to our kitchen!! I just LOVE that window and have for years!! Take a closer look.
Look at the adorable polka dots and stripes! I also love the silver and white stripes around the frame and how it is distressed on the sides. It makes me happy when I see it in my kitchen not only because it's cute and has great sayings on it, but because Sabrina made it!
 I couldn't decide if I should paint that wood dome ceiling or not. I went back and forth on it and decided to put a picture on Facebook and ask everyone's opinion. The majority of the people said not to paint it and my favorite decorator friend texted me and said, "Don't you DARE paint that dome...it would be a crime!" so my decision was made.  I am thinking of getting wooden roman shades to put on the windows and think that may bring in the wood from the ceiling. I also am replacing the bar stools with something that will bring the wood ceiling in.
Got new bar stools. (Updating pixs as I do more)
Okay, so this picture was taken before we bought our house and were looking at it as a possibility to buy. I took pictures of everything.  I am so glad I did because I can go back now and see all the changes that have been made. I am sure I have picture somewhere of our kitchen desk but I'm not sure where but I knew which file this picture was in so I'm just using it. Check out the mauve top on the desk.  :)  
Here it is after.  MUCH brighter.  By the way, this picture was taken after this original blog post. I am adding more pictures as I do more to the kitchen. :) I just ended up painting the mauve top....sanding it and painting a few coats of paint. I am just really careful to not put anything on top of it. :) I plan on either getting a piece of glass to place over it or a piece of granite to match the kitchen counters...until then, this is the desk...I actually like the white top.
I found this frame at the Holiday House this weekend and thought it was the right size to put in this  space. I like it because it is unique and hand made. 
This picture is cropped but you can see close up what the frame says. I put a picture of all our kids in it.


I've still got a few more things to do such as get a chair for the desk and add a few more odds and ends but the kitchen is finished for the most part. I'm so happy with it and so glad that it has my personality now.  The oak just wasn't me and the darkness of it all wasn't, either. I need bright and cheery, especially if I'm in a room a lot and believe me, I spend a lot of time in the kitchen!! :)

Photobucket

Comments

Stacey said…
Looks great! Love the decorations! I would of given up after painting half a cabinet.
Marlos ACE said…
Heather!!!! OH MY GOODNESS... it looks fabulous!!! what a transformation. Can I add the before and after pic to my pinterest board... before and after.. or have you already done that, and ZI can pin yours.