My mom is in the hospital. She's okay but she wasn't for awhile there. Lamar and I headed to Lousiana on Friday and Saturday morning I got a call from my sweet friend, Calli, telling me she was so sorry about my mom and so glad that she had to go through all she did. My heart literally started racing. I had no idea what she was talking about! I immediately called home and the call wouldn't go through because I forgot to put in the area code so I called Calli and she told me that my mom had to have an emergency hysterecomy. I was so relieved when I found out because I was thinking she was in a wreck or had a stroke or something. I didn't realize how serious the situation was until yesterday after church or I wouldn't have been relieved. Early Saturday morning, she woke up and had lost 4 pints of blood. She woke my dad up and he called the ambulance. They came and got her and my dad did a D&C (he's an OBGYN) on her which usually stops the bleeding. When that didn't work, he (along with Dr. Simmons) did a hysterectomy. Even after the hysterectomy, she still was losing blood....her blood just wouldn't clot. They think it's because of all the Advil she had been taking. Her heart was racing because she lost so much blood so they had to give her 2 more pints of blood yesterday along with plasma and platelets. Well, when they were giving her the plasma, her veins couldn't take anymore and the IV came out so they had to do a PICC line to send the plasma directly to her heart. Finally, last night, she turned the corner. I got to see her this morning and she was so swollen and bruised but she was okay. Shanny, my sister, who is a nurse practioner (and the best nurse I've ever seen) said she was so swollen yesterday and actually looked a lot less swollen today. She's okay now other than her low iron. They probably won't let her out of the hospital until they can get that back up. After church yesterday, my uncle told me her heart was racing so I called my sister and she told me about her IV and then I started panicking. I was calling my sister, my brother, and my dad, trying to make sure she was okay. It was so good to see her today. The reason my dad didn't call us immediately is because my mom has a million friends and he didn't want any visitors, not even us. He was so worried and didn't even want her talking. If there are people in the room, my mom is going to want to talk and entertain. :) Anyway, now all is well. I tell ya, this has been a whirlwind couple of weeks. The Thursday night before my mom's surgery, another close family member just got out of the hospital. It has been one thing after another but God has been in it all and there have been many miracles. He loves us so much and I am so thankful that He let my mom stay on earth with us longer.

Photobucket
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Rebekah said…
Heather I know how scary that must have been for you. I'm glad everything is better now. I will keep your mom in my prayers. Aren't moms precious...what would we do without them??
Carissa said…
I am so sorry about your momma! I am so glad she is improving, I'm sure you were worried sick! I will be praying she continues to improve!
Marlos ACE said…
So glad your mom is doing better. I will keep her in my prayers. SO so great reconnecting with you..yippee!!
kate said…
thank the Lord your mom is okay!
just reading it made me nervous and I"m a blog-stranger-friend. Moms are just the best!

hugs! kate