"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are"

I've been meaning to post this for days but I could never find the cutest picture of Charlie riding in the back of the convertible with all of us, so I'm just going to go ahead and post this puppy! HA! :) No pun intended! :) (And, it's not Tuesday, it's Saturday...I don't know why the post says Tuesday...I'm sure there's a way to fix it but I don't know how).

9-21-99....Happy Birthday Charlie Bear


This is the day we got Charlie Bear (we got him in November 1999). We drove to Gena, Louisiana and Charlie Bear was the last golden out of 3 litters (21 dogs). I know God saved him just for us. Charlie Bear's mom and dad were HUGE!!! They were the biggest Golden's I had ever seen.

I married Lamar in May 1999 and Macy and I moved to Louisiana right away. It was the beginning of the summer so Macy didn't know anyone. She really needed a friend and loved animals, so I talked Lamar into letting us get a dog and he agreed as long as we kept it outside. HA! :) So, I started researching about the best dogs for kids. Golden retrievers and Labs were listed as the top ones. We decided on a Golden because they were supposed to shed less!!! :) I don't think I quite believe that now but I sure am glad we got Charlie Bear. Macy LOVED Charlie from the very beginning. He went everywhere with her and even slept in her room (so much for an outside dog)! He truly was a God send....still is.

Charlie Bear's just another one of our kids. :) I think this was on the way to take Macy and Kathryn to Brookhill. :)

A few years later. May and Charlie Bear. We named him Charlie Bear because we couldn't decide between the names Charlie and Bear so we just went with both! I love his name!!!
When Macy got older, Charlie Bear slept in our room when Macy was spending the night or at her dad's for the weekend. Now, he is almost always in our room because Macy goes to bed after we do and Charlie doesn't want to be alone. When we moved to our house in Monroe, Charlie Bear started sleeping at the end of the bed instead of right beside me. One night, I was telling Lamar that Charlie wasn't by my side anymore and I missed him being there. Of course, Charlie heard me :) and the next morning, he was right by my side again. :) I promise that dog understands everything I say.

I sure do love these guys and the great thing is, they love me, too!

Charlie Bear is the most gentle dog ever. He has been great with Rosie Love from the very beginning. Here she is feeding him cereal when she was a year old. :)

Macy moved back to Little Rock 3 weeks before we did. Here she is saying goodbye to him. She was crying.

Macy's neighborhood friends in Rayville, Taylor and Jennifer, using Charlie Bear as a pillow.

Charlie Bear hanging out with Hannah and Rosie.

My dad is so good about giving Charlie Bear food. He buys him these huge cow bones at the store and they last CB months and months. I think I got my love of dogs from my dad. We always had lots of dogs growing up. :) My mom loves dogs, too......but she doesn't want them in the house because they've never been able to house train a dog.

Trey trying to get CB in an innertube.

Charlie Bear always used to ride in the convertible with us. A lady told me one day that she got behind me in the car and couldn't quit laughing because Charlie Bear looked like a person sitting in the back seat.

Charlie Bear getting ready for a trip to Little Rock.

:)

I love this picture! Charlie Bear is with all his cousins on the Lane side. You can barely see him but he's there.

I was so proud of Charlie Bear. We went to New Orleans for the weekend and left him in our fence (it was a whole acre and he had lots of dog food and water and the neighbors checked on him) and he didn't dig out!! I was worried all weekend he'd dig out. When I got back, he ran to me and greeted me. I was so proud he stayed in our fence. :) As he's gotten older, he doesn't even try to get out of fences anymore.

Kathryn and Charlie Bear. Aww, I love this picture.

Charlie Bear loved to sit on our porch in Monroe and watch for the neighborhood dog next door. Charlie Bear is super gentle with humans but hasn't always been so with other dogs, especially if they were small. One day I finally had a talk with Charlie Bear and told him that the Bible says to love your neighbors and that he could no longer be a bully to the neighbor's dog (actually it was the neighbor's mom's dog). I told him it would make us feel horrible if another dog treated him that way because we loved him. After that, Charlie Bear was good with other animals. I'm serious...crazy as it may seem...since that day, Charlie Bear has been good with other animals. I know, I know..it sounds crazy...but it's TRUE!!! That dog is just another human in a dog's body! HA! :)

One of my very favorite pictures of all time.

Charlie Bear playing ball with the kids in Monroe.

HA! I love this! Charlie Bear was sitting in his seat (yep, he had a seat that he preferred in the car and usually got it) and decided to give Shelby some love. :)

I love him. When I was by myself in Monroe during the day, Charlie Bear stayed right by my side always. Matter of fact, he's by my side as I write this. :)

Lamar thinks I'm crazy to dress Charlie Bear in clothes. I don't do it very much because I don't think he likes it very much. He also has a Razorback jersey! :)
I love Charlie Bear so much and am so thankful that God blessed us with him!

Comments

It was great to meet you at Lawson & Christie's house this past Saturday! I love the blog, and the dog pics are so cute!
Shannon Pate said…
You know I am not a dog person, but I LOVE Charlie Bear! Maybe it is because he is not a real dog, he is so much more!!! Love you!