Orange Beach Vacay 2011

(I wrote this on Sept. 17 and am just  now posting.)
I’m sitting here in the Ft. Lauderdale airport waiting to head back to Little Rock from our Orange Beach vacation.  We spent a week there and had a great time. It’s always hard to go home.  I always want to blog about our vacation because if I don’t, I’ll forget some things that I want to remember.  For example, because I blogged about our Colorado vacation, I remembered that Enterprise was the BEST place to rent a car so that’s who we used again and they were once again wonderful! We’ll never rent anywhere else.  We are sitting by some really nice people here who we’ve been talking to us about football and dentistry. They are from Jonesboro and have children and grandchildren in LR. Lamar is also watching the Nebraska game on TV.  He couldn’t find a SEC game on TV so he went with NE since Marci lives there. Anyway, back to our trip, we left last Saturday and our plane was delayed a couple of hours.  Our flight ended up leaving around 10:30 pm and it was the easiest check in ever.  We flew with Vision Airlines.  They have cheaper tickets and their flight is non-stop. It only has a flight to Ft. Lauderdale once a week but let me tell ya, it is SO worth it to fly!! It is so nice not having to make that long drive.  Because of the delay, we ended up getting to Seachase about 2:30 am.  We stopped by Wal-Mart on the way to get some essentials. We ended up going to sleep at about 4:00 am. 
All week was so great, we just did whatever we wanted…we slept as late as we wanted, went to the beach whenever we wanted, ate wherever and whatever our hearts desired…..it was just so relaxing and just a great great trip!
Here are some of the highlights:
Our condo:  We stayed in Seachase 1002 Center. It was really pretty and the blue paint was so soothing. I REALLY think it is the same room that Mar and I stayed in on our honeymoon.  I just got the feeling that I had stayed there before and it looked just the same except it had been repainted and redecorated.  Mar asked them but they lost all their records in the hurricane 5 years ago.  Anyway, I just love Seachase. It feels like home to me. Actually, Orange beach feels like home to me. I know it so well. I even know how to get places which is saying a lot for me.  We ended up having to sleep in the guest room because the beautiful plantation shutters in the master had too much light that shone through early in the morning that woke us up. I loved the condo, though. I have never stayed in a condo at Seachase that I haven’t loved.
Restaurants: We went to lots of restaurants and this is what I have discovered: LuLu’s and Doc’s have the best onion rings, Doc’s and Wolf Creek Lodge have the best royal red shrimp, the Original Oyster House had the best praline cheesecake, and Cosmo’s has the GREATEST firecracker shrimp ever that tasted a lot like Bang Bang Shrimp from Bonefish but better.  We went to King Neptunes and didn’t like much of anything. They had fried cheesecake that was okay but was frozen in the middle.  We thought Jimmy Buffet was playing at LuLu’s but it wasn’t him.  Lamar insisted and then when I googled his images, the guy looked like him so I was convinced. I ended up asking our waiter and it wasn’t him. :)  We went to Bahama Bobs one night and it wasn’t our favorite.  It was nice to eat outside, though.  We really liked Wolf Creek Lodge’s atmosphere.  They did not have good onion rings but everything else was great! I got the shrimp scampi and Mar got royal reds.  I also got eclair cake for dessert that was really good.  Poor Mar burned his mouth on the cheese grits at the Original Oyster House and had trouble eating every day since.  But, he said the cheese grits were well worth it. :) 
Favorite sunblocks:
We bought every sunscreen known to man and my favorites were Ocean Potion and Exotic Blend with bronzer because of the smell. I loved the bronzer in the Exotic Blend because it has a bronzer in it that  makes you look tan. Also, for some reason, it smells a little like chocolate.  How can you go wrong with tan and chocolate!!! You just can’t! The Ocean Potion spray was sticky but the lotion wasn’t.  The best sunscreen spray as far as not being sticky is Neutrogena.  We wore 30 on the first day because we were only out from 3:00-5:00.  On the second day, we wore 50, on the third day we wore 30 and all the days after that, we wore 15.  I write all this where I’ll remember for next time.  We didn’t get burned. 
The Beach:
Jellyfish: Man, were there LOTS of jellyfish!!! I always love going to the beach at the first of May or in September because there are never any jellyfish and the weather is perfect! Well, this time around, there were TONS of jellyfish.  Mar got stung very slightly by one. I think one just brushed against his arm. It wasn’t too bad, thankfully.  I went running on the beach yesterday and had to dodge jellyfish the whole time.  I stopped counting at 83! I literally saw hundreds.  I wanted to look at my surroundings but couldn’t because I would have stepped on a jellyfish. The run was HEAVENLY though but I hurt both my knees…probably has something to do with running barefoot and on the sand. It was the first time I had exercised in a week, though, and the breeze was just wonderful.
Shopping:
We didn’t do a whole lot of shopping but I wanted to stop by the Wharf because there are a few shops I like there that I wanted to go back to. One is Ooh La La. I have always loved that name but I like it even more now since my cousin, Emily, works in a salon called Ooh La La.  I got me a really cute shirt in there. We also went to another shop that was adorable but I can’t remember the name of it.  They had the cutest dresses for cheap.  There was a shop there called H. L Hood which immediately reminded me of Hope since those are her initials. I sent her a pix.  She said she thought it was a sign from God because she’s always wanted to open up a shop. When I looked up the shop online, it turns out that the H. stands for Heather! Hope said the name of the store was a mixture of our names.  It’s so cool because Hope and I have just signed up to have a booth at one of the flea markets in Little Rock. We’ll open our booth on October 1st.  I thought that was neat that I saw that sign.  We also went to San Rock Cay (mom’s favorite) and Fanatic Fanz today.   I got Reggie a LSU jersey at a store in San Roc Cay. It is so cute! I plan on getting a picture of CB in his Razorback jersey and Reggie in his LSU jersey with Mar and I dressed in our LSU and Razorback gear! I also found me some Miss Me skinny jeans at the Private Gallery.  My favorite jeans are Miss Me but they are boot cut so I can’t tuck my boots into them. I’ve been looking for some skinny Miss Me’s to wear this fall/winter to tuck my boots into and I found them. The fun thing is is that this shop also has one other shop in Fayetteville, ARKANSAS!!! I love that! It’s always been one of my favorite shops. We always go to Fanatic Fanz and get LSU and Arkansas shirts.  Alabama has the best LSU football stuff I’ve ever seen. I LOVE LSU colors so I always love buying LSU stuff since they are, after all, my second favorite team.
Pier and State Park: 
This was the first time we went to the state park and the pier.  I don’t know why we never discovered those places before.  They are both beautiful places to go watch the sunset.  We went to the state park a few days ago and we got there right at sunset, when they close. We still managed to get a few pictures and see some of the sunset, though.  Last night, we went to the pier and there were a lot of people fishing (I am so glad Lamar doesn’t fish).  Anyway, one guy caught a baby shark!!! It was the first time I have ever seen a shark in person.  Here’s a picture. It’s not the best but it’s the best I could do standing on the pier with a shark fighting the line like crazy.  We also saw this neat bird: I don’t know what kind he is but I liked him. 
Pier
Pier

State Park
Mar’s favorite part:
Would you believe of all things the JELLYFISH!!!! WHAT??!!! Are you kidding me! He thought they were cool…all the jellyfish on the shore.  He also said he loved seeing all the houses with the porches (they were gorgeous) and he loved exploring the restaurants and eating desserts with me.  He also liked “chilling out” on the beach.  He said the icing on the cake was getting to eat whatever he wanted.  He’s been on a healthy diet for about 10 months now and his blood work is GREAT!! He just got it drawn again right before we left for the beach and his numbers were great again.  I am SO thankful!!!
Hadoo’s favorite part:
The BEACH, of course! Laying on the beach on comfy chairs for hours and hours looking the beautiful ocean with the breeze blowing.  I took in every single second.  I also loved having no restrictions on eating. I just let myself eat whatever I wanted and I had Sprite for every meal.  I also got a dessert for every meal!! YES!!! One of my very very favorite things about the beach is getting to do my quiet time on the balcony.  That is always heaven to me. I love sitting outside with the ocean in front of me studying God’s word. Also, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the sunsets!! Just look at the beautiful sunsets we saw!!!

Orange Beach vs. Destin:
Well, for the last 2 years we went to Destin and stayed at the Adagio which are gorgeous condominiums.  We always go when they are having a half price deal or it would be too much to stay there.  They are just beautiful condos.  I also love the beach at Destin.  The water is so so clear and the sand feels as fine as flour. I just love the feel of it in between my toes.  I like the restaurants there, too.  BUT, there is just something about Orange Beach that I love, love, love!! Lamar and I went there on our honeymoon, as I mentioned, so that may be one reason but we also have gone just about every year since.  They were closed down for a couple of years from the hurricane so we went to St. Thomas and Grand Cayman and while those places were beautiful, they just weren’t Orange Beach.  I love the familiarity of Orange Beach.  I love knowing all the restaurants and what to eat.  I love the grocery store being right across the street.  AND, most of all, I LOVE the beach chairs that you rent at SeaChase. I know that sounds like a small deal but we spend all day every day at the beach and having comfy chairs is important! Adagio chairs just aren’t as good.  They don’t lay all the way back and they have an attachment for at the bottom for your feet.  At SeaChase, the chairs are like a bed.  They have 4-5 inches of a foam cushion on top of wood that goes all the way back so you can lay on your stomach.  Your gadgets (like my iPhone and iPad) are protected from the sand more because of the chairs. I don’t know….Orange Beach is  like my second home so I think we’ll go back there again over Destin, even though Destin is great, too! Lamar said he definitely loved the Destin beach better as far as the water and the sand but over all, we’d go back to Orange Beach again and I’m sure we’ll back again this time next year unless we get to go at the first of May again!!! Wouldn’t that be great!!!
Photobucket

Comments